Wednesday, February 27, 2008

William F. Buckley Jr. Has Passed Away

From National Review
I’m devastated to report that our dear friend, mentor, leader, and founder William F. Buckley Jr., died this morning in his study in Stamford, Connecticut.

He died while at work; if he had been given a choice on how to depart this world, I suspect that would have been exactly it. At home, still devoted to the war of ideas.

Buckley was one of the first conservative people I read when I was younger. I found his style to be unique and his ideals and classiness to be uncompromised.

One of the funniest things I heard him say was when he explained why he would occasionally write for Playboy. He said it was the only way he could get his son to read his work. Brilliant.

I will say though that I always saw William F. Buckley Jr. as a living metaphor of the GOP and today is not different.

UPDATE: More from AP. My favorite part is:
A precocious controversialist, William was but 8 years old when he wrote to the king of England, demanding payment of the British war debt.

No comments: