Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Squeaky Wheel Back in Ohio: Impressions

I have been 'home' in Columbus, Ohio now for two weeks. I say 'home' because in the ten years I have been gone, a lot has changed. Where many farms used to grow crops, houses and shopping centers have grown. Places in the Downtown area that I dared not drive to in the past are now the nightly hot spots and places of commerce during the day. A town once obsessed with being Cincinnati and Cleveland’s little brother has grown up to be, what I believe, is the greatest city in Ohio, if not the Midwest, to work and live.

The housing market here is in bad shape. however. There is an abundance of housing available and at a reasonable price (especially compared to the Hampton Roads, VA area) but since there is so much housing available, the market time is amazing. Yesterday I looked at four houses alone that were perfectly fine, in good neighborhoods, that have been on the market from seven to twelve months. Amazing. I will purchase a house to move into once our house in VA Beach sells. Is anyone looking for a great four-bedroom in VA Beach?

As for work, that is great. The firm I work for is amazing and I know in my heart I made the right choice taking this position and leaving Virginia. I left behind friends but have reconnected with so many in Ohio to say nothing of the family I have here.

I know I have not posted in awhile, and between the new job and looking for a house (While trying to sell one in Virginia) I have been busy. Stick with me. I will get better at timely and insightful commentary, but please understand that I need to get settled before I do my best work.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really, greatest city in the midwest... hmmm I think Chicago might have something on y'all there in Columbus.

Seriously, your new BD page looks great. Nice to hear that things are going your way.

Ragnar

The Squeaky Wheel said...

I am saying to live AND work. Chicago is great but getting to work is a lot easier in CMH than in Chi-Town.

Scott White said...

Glad to hear things are going well for you Friend. My best to you and yours. Where is your home in Va Beach?

The Squeaky Wheel said...

My house is not too far from the Farmer's Market. Quite nice and available at a very fair price :-)

Vivian J. Paige said...

I see you still can't spell :) Shouldn't that header be "Perspective" instead of "Prospective"?

Glad to know things are working out for you. I have a feeling, though, you're going to be missing us :)

Anonymous said...

Columbus is a hellhole, but good luck at any rate!

Anonymous said...

Wait, how do you have a blog about Ohio if you haven't lived here in 10 years??

The Squeaky Wheel said...

jose,

I grew up In Columbus, Went to school in Worthington, Attened Miami U and left for a bit. As you might notice, it is not like I am blogging about the goings on in Ohio yet since I am getting back up to speed. So far this is going to be about comming home.

As for knowing Ohio, it is not like I did not pay attention to Ohio. The internent is the damnest thing... you can read up on lots of news no matter where you are! :-)

My family beyond my wife and kids never left Ohio. Always kept a strong tie here.

Thanks to all of the new readers and to theose from the VA Blogosphere, thanks!

Vivian,
As for my banner... Yeah, I know. I stink, but I just have not had time to re-do the banner and upload the new one. No one else noticed until you told :-)