Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Is the FCC Chair Signaling XM/Sirius Merger Approval?

It seems that, just as with any Washington entity, plain speak is a lost art with the FCC and subtle signals and hints are the only way to learn any news. I know my friend Ryan at OrbitCast loves reading the Tea Leaves regarding the proposed XM-Sirius Merger (which, unlike me, he is in favor of) so this will make him giddy like a little school girl.
Oh the PhotoShop fun I could have with this picture of FCC Chair, Kevin J. Martin
From Reuters
"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The head of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday proposed that the agency relax its ban on the cross-ownership of newspapers and broadcast stations in the 20 biggest U.S. cities.

The "relatively minor" rule change would help bolster the newspaper industry by allowing owners in the top markets to buy a TV or radio station, FCC Chairman Kevin Martin said.
"
Is this in regards to cross media ownerships only, or is a signal of the cliché slippery slope of ownership and mergers? Who is to say, but one thing is for sure, this decision will come soon.

For the record, as much as I respect and admire Ryan at OrbitCast, he and I do disagree on this one. I appose the merger, but that doesn’t change the fact that he has THE source for all news SatRad!

No comments: